I WANT LESSONS
Guitar, Piano, Bass, Ukulele, and more!
WE ARE ALL UNIQUE WITH OUR OWN TASTES IN MUSIC AND IT'S AWESOME THAT WE GET TO CHOOSE WHAT GOES ON OUR PLAYLISTS. WHY SHOULD PRIVATE MUSIC EDUCATION BE ANY DIFFERENT?
Our instructors will tailor the curriculum around your tastes and goals along with exercises to help you succeed. With Philadelphia Guitar School you decide where to begin. No music choice is weird, silly, or boring. We match our students' tastes with our instructors' expertise to make sure you’re paired with someone who will make your learning experience fun!
All levels, ages, and styles welcome! Children (ages 5 - 11), Teens (ages 13 - 19), Adults. If you want to learn, we’re here to teach!
Not sure where to start? Below are brief overviews covering Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, and more!
Never picked up a guitar in your life or had one for years and still don't know how to play a D chord? Here's what you can expect when you're just getting started:
- Anatomy: learn the parts of the guitar, how they work and what function they serve, and how to tune your ax.
- Open Strings, Notes, and Chords: the building blocks of turning sound into music.
- Songs: beginning with simple melody-based ditties to the three chord blues and cover songs, you'll be playing familiar favorites before you know it!
- Posture: from holding a pick and the guitar, to proper finger placement on the fretboard, posture counts and correct positioning allows for clearer and cleaner tone, and can even help to prevent tendonitis, Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Time Travel: I'm totally serious.
You know your open chords, a few bar chords and you're ready to go a little further but not sure what that even means? Lessons for Intermediate students include review of and honing your existing knowledge and skills while introducing fun exercises and more challenging songs to expand and strengthen your vocabulary.
- Language Arts: the language of music is vast, colorful and sometimes daunting. By learning simple music theory and notation, we'll demystify the guitar neck and strengthen the connection between your ears and fingers.
- Take Requests: create a list of your favorite songs for us to go through, learn the chords, melody lines, and even solos. Capitalizing on your recently acquired knowledge of key signatures, we'll deconstruct and rebuild songs to give them your own style.
- Family Tree: do you know your favorite band's favorite band? Just as we all have parents, grandparents, great-grandparents... so does music!
You can play and probably even have a few guitars. You listen to a lot of music and can hold down your own in a jam, maybe write your own music. You're ready to dive down the rabbit hole, headstock first! Advanced classes are chock full of headier material, philosophical musings on composition and anything else we can think of!
- Theory: no need to sugar-coat the "T Word" here. Trade in your I-IV-V for II-V-I, 13th chords, modes, and more!
- Metronome madness: your new best friend speaks beats.
- Ear Training: learn to trust your ears.
You know what's up and are ready to create sounds on sounds on sounds on sounds. Maybe you have a looper but aren't sure what to do beyond laying down chords to solo over. Dan is a veteran looper, notorious effects pedal nerd, and loves working with guitarists looking to expand their sonic pallet.
- Looping: unlock your loop station's full potential.
- Pedal Pushing and Toe Twiddling: getting to know your effects.
- Distortion vs Overdrive: there is a difference.
- Phaser, Flanger, Chorus, Tremelo: modULaTioN.
- Digital Delay, Echo, Reverb vs Analog Delay, Echo, Reverb
- Compression Pedals
- Synthing Pedals
- Noise: because we can